VA Black Hills Health Care System
The Black Hills Health Care System provides a wide variety of educational opportunities for current employees as well as future employees, including students, interns and residents in an array of clinical and administrative careers.
Affiliates, Medical Residents, and Health Professional Trainees
The Black Hills Health Care System works with hundreds of medical residents and students every year. We ask that all student questions or concerns that are not addressed by these instructions or this website be directed to your Clinical Program Coordinator or Instructor at your Institution. If your Clinical Program Coordinator or Instructor at your Institution cannot answer or address your concerns then they (not individual students) may contact the Black Hills Health Care System Department of Education at (605)720-7067.
Letter to Affiliates
IMPORTANT: Due to Federal Regulations, The Black Hills Health Care System is unable to support individuals observing, shadowing, volunteering or assisting as a volunteer in any type of facility administrative, business or clinical experience or capacity. All individuals seeking practical experience must be sponsored by an existing affiliate and have completed all required trainings and forms.
Instructions to apply for practical experience and/or clinical rotation:
Before you can begin your clinical experience, your school's clinical coordinator must ensure that our facility can support your desired rotation dates and is able to provide an educational experience that meets your school's requirements. This is extremely important particularly when coordinating large groups of students. Your school’s clinical coordinator should contact the appropriate trainee placement coordinator/s at our facility to get approval and to determine if the department has any unique or special requirements that must be accomplished.
The next step is to ensure that there is an affiliation agreement between your school's specific program and the Black Hills Health Care System. Please note that no one will be allowed to conduct a practical/clinical experience without an affiliation agreement in place (No Exceptions). Check to ensure your program has a current affiliation agreement in place. If your specific school program is not listed, complete the blank affiliation agreement and email: Julie.Jones@va.gov or fax to the Department of Education at (605) 720-7188.
After an affiliation agreement is in place, there are several required trainings and forms.
All students/residents/affiliates please proceed as follows
| 1. At least 6-8 weeks prior to your requested Clinical Rotation you should fax, email or hand carry the following
forms to the Department of Education. Secure Fax: (605) 720-7188 Email to: Julie.Jones@va.gov
113 Comanche Rd Bldg 90
Fort Meade, SD 57741
• Black Hills Health Care System Demographic Form Trainee Demographics pdf
• Computer Access form Computer Access
• TMS certificate
• VAFORM10_2850d Application for Health Professions Trainees
• OF306 Declaration for Federal Employment
• Proof of immunizations (TB test; 2 out of 3 Hepatitis B series; flu vaccination)
• Important: Ensure you provide your full legal name as it appears on your legal
Identification and that it is legible.
• Failure to do this could result in delays or cancellation of your clinical experience.
2. VHA Mandatory Training for Trainees
To allow the student to interact with patients and have access to our information systems they are required to
TMS can be found at http://www.tms.va.gov. They will follow the steps in TMS Profile Creation-for Trainees PDF to
Instructions to print the TMS MTT certificate:On the main page under the title, “My History”, click on “view all”. Hover over the completed Mandatory Training for
Trainees module and choose,” Print Certificate”. Students will include the certificate when they fax, email or hand
carry the rest of the paperwork.
| 3. Absolutely no more than 120 days prior to your planned Clinical Rotation and no later than 6-8
weeks prior to your scheduled orientation date you will need to obtain fingerprints.
• Visit the Black Hills Health Care System, Police Departments to have fingerprints
completed. Please complete and
bring the following Police In-processing Form with you: Police Inprocessing Form
The Black Hills Health Care System Police Department
Fort Meade Campus Hot Springs Campus
113 Comanche Road, Bldg 148 500 N 5th St.
Fort Meade SD 57741 Hot Springs, SD 57747
(605)720-7177 (605)745-2020• Fingerprints at the Black Hills Health Care System Police Departments are available to be done
Monday-Friday from 0730 to 1600.
• You do not need to make an appointment. However, if you intend to come as part of a
group/class of 5 or more students you are directed to have your instructor contact the
Department of Education (605)720-7067 to coordinate/schedule your visit.
• If you live close to another VA Medical Center it may be possible to get fingerprints taken there.
You will need to provide the following code to the VA staff who does the fingerprints to ensure the
successful coordination and electronic transfer to our facility. SOI: VAK1 and SON: 1763 for
4. Schedule your Orientation Date at the Black Hills Health Care System, within the VA’s
Talent Management System (TMS) 14 days after the date of fingerprinting. You must
complete training in TMS before you can self-schedule your orientation.
5. On the scheduled date of your Student Orientation at the Black Hills Health Care System
You are REQUIRED to bring the Following Forms and Documents:
- Two forms of Government ID (i.e. Driver’s License, Social Security Card, or Passport).
- Proof of Identity
NOTE TO TRAINEES: Please report in your student uniform with student name badge to the Department of Education- Fort Meade Campus
Download: Map of FM
Your scheduled orientation will begin at 8:00 a.m. on the day you choose for scheduled orientation and registered in TMS. Plan on spending about 4 hours for your orientation but depending on the number of students it could be more or less. During Orientation we will complete the PIV/Flash/ID Badge process, ensure your Computer Access is working (if you need computer access) and perform Computerized Patient Records System (CPRS) training if needed.
6. Computerized Patient Record (CPRS) training is offered during orientation but if additional information would be helpful to the student, direct them to
the following CPRS Tab by Tab training:
7. Please complete the “Evaluation of VA Learning Experience” following your clinical experience:
8. Students interested in applying for employment at VA Black Hills: www.usajobs.gov (Narrow your search by Geographical location and Position). The
phone number to Human Resources is (605)720-7090 (FM) or (605) 745-2018 (HS).
9. Returning Badges: It is vital that trainees return name badges to the police department following their clinical experience. If you have questions,
direct them to the SPC of the service or to the Education Department.
- 113 Comanche Road, Fort Meade, SD 57741, Bldg. 90 Education Department, Rm 107
- 605-720-7067 Ext. 7067
Hours of Operation