VA Black Hills Health Care System
The Black Hills Health Care System provides a wide variety of educational opportunities for current employees as well as future employees, including students, interns and residents in an array of clinical and administrative careers.
Affiliates, Medical Residents, and Health Professional Trainees
The Black Hills Health Care System works with hundreds of medical residents and students every year. We ask that all student questions or concerns that are not addressed by these instructions or this website be directed to your Clinical Program Coordinator or Instructor at your Institution. If your Clinical Program Coordinator or Instructor at your Institution cannot answer or address your concerns then they (not individual students) may contact the Black Hills Health Care System Department of Education at (605)720-7067.
IMPORTANT: Due to Federal Regulations, The Black Hills Health Care System is unable to support individuals observing, shadowing, volunteering or assisting as a volunteer in any type of facility administrative, business or clinical experience or capacity. All individuals seeking practical experience must be sponsored by an existing affiliate and have completed all required trainings and forms.
Instructions to apply for practical experience and/or clinical rotation:
Before you can begin your clinical experience, your school's clinical coordinator must ensure that our facility can support your desired rotation dates and is able to provide an educational experience that meets your school's requirements. This is extremely important particularly when coordinating large groups of students. Your school’s clinical coordinator should contact the appropriate trainee placement coordinator/s at our facility to get approval and to determine if the department has any unique or special requirements that must be accomplished.
The next step is to ensure that there is an affiliation agreement between your school's specific program and the Black Hills Health Care System. Please note that no one will be allowed to conduct a practical/clinical experience without an affiliation agreement in place (No Exceptions). Check to ensure your program has a current affiliation agreement in place. If your specific school program is not listed, complete the blank affiliation agreement and email: Julie.Jones@va.gov or fax to the Department of Education at (605) 720-7188.
After an affiliation agreement is in place, there are several required trainings and forms.
All other school program students/residents/affiliates please proceed as follows
| 1. At least one month prior to your requested Clinical Rotation:
• You should fax a completed Black Hills Health Care System Demographic Form and completed computer access
form to the Department of Education via Secure Fax to (605)720-7188
Trainee Demographics pdf
• Important: Ensure you provide your full legal name as it appears on your legal Identification and that it is legible.
• Failure to do this could result in delays or cancellation of your clinical experience.
• Your Clinical Program Coordinator at your Institution must both fax a copy and mail an original Trainee
Qualifications and Credentials Verification Letter (TQCVL) to the Department of Education via Secure Fax to
(605)720-7188 and/or mailing address:
TQCVL Letter BHHCS pdf
Black Hills Health Care System c/o Department of Education 113 Comanche Road Fort Meade, SD 57741
2. Absolutely no more than 120 days prior to your planned Clinical Rotation and no later than one month prior to your
scheduled orientation date you will need to obtain fingerprints.
• Visit to the Black Hills Health Care System, Police Departments to have fingerprints completed.
The Black Hills Health Care System Police Department
Fort Meade Campus Hot Springs Campus 113 Comanche Road, Bldg 148 500 N 5th St. Fort Meade SD 57741 Hot Springs, SD 57747 (605)720-7177 (605)745-2020
• Fingerprints at the Black Hills Health Care System Police Departments are available to be done on Tuesday and
Thursday from 0730 to 1600.
• You do not need to make an appointment. However, if you intend to come as part of a group/class of 5 or more
students you are directed to have your instructor contact the Department of Education (605)720-7067 to
coordinate/schedule your visit.
• If you live close to another VA Medical Center it may be possible to get fingerprints taken there. You will need to
provide the following code to the VA staff who does the fingerprints to ensure the successful coordination and
electronic transfer to our facility.
SOI: VAK1 and SON: 1763 for Fort Meade
| 3. Enroll in Talent Management System
• Follow these Instructions to access TMS: TMS Profile Creation-for Trainees PDF
• Complete the auto populated Mandatory Training for Trainees (MTT)
• You must complete training as assigned and Self-Certify that you have completed the
required forms in TMS before you can self-schedule your orientation.
• Print and mail or email a copy of your completed TMS trainings to your Student
4. Schedule your Orientation Date at the Black Hills Health Care System, within the VA’s
Talent Management System (TMS) 14 days after the date of fingerprinting
7. Complete all Required Forms and bring them to your scheduled orientation or mail to:
113 Comanche Rd Bldg 90
Fort Meade, SD 57741
On the scheduled date of your Student Orientation at the Black Hills Health Care System
You are REQUIRED to bring the Following Forms and Documents:
- Two forms of Government ID (i.e. Driver’s License, Social Security Card, Passport)
- Vehicle Registration and License Plate Number
- All Required Forms listed above completed and signed
NOTE TO TRAINEES: Please report in your student uniform with student name badge to the Department of Education- Fort Meade Campus
Download: Map of FM
Your scheduled orientation will begin at 8:00 a.m. on the day you choose for scheduled orientation and registered in TMS. Plan on spending about 4 hours for your orientation, depending on the number of students it could be more or less. During Orientation we will ensure your paperwork is completed, gather information for your parking permit, and complete the PIV/Flash/ID Badge process, ensure your Computer Access is working (if you need computer access) and perform Computerized Patient Records System (CPRS) training if needed.
- 113 Comanche Road, Fort Meade, SD 57741, Bldg. 90 Education Department, Rm 107
- 605-720-7067 Ext. 7067
Hours of Operation