VA Black Hills Health Care System
Volunteer or Donate
Black Hills HCS depends on the goodwill of our benefactors and volunteers who wish to give something back to America's heroes.
Volunteers provide many important functions throughout the Medical Center and help make our patients' stay more enjoyable. Volunteers can perform a number of services, and a volunteer's talents are closely matched with one of our assignments.
To volunteer, call or visit the Black Hills HCS Voluntary Service Office. We will be happy to receive your application and discuss how you can help us in our mission to provide comfort and care to America's veterans.
Cash donations are used for the comfort and welfare of our Veteran patients. We've listed a few of those needs here by location. Cash donations may be designated to support specific areas, such as:
- Recreation Activities (both on and off site events)
- Newspaper Subscriptions for long term care areas
- Canteen Books
- Indigent Veteran Fund
- Coffee supplies for patient waiting rooms
- Popcorn supplies for Veterans Movie Night in RRTP*
- Off-station recreational activities for veterans in RRTP*
- Indigent Veteran Fund
Non-cash contributions are used to make our patients' stay more enjoyable. We've listed a few of those needs here by location.
- Bottled water, Kool-aid and other sugar free dring mixes
- Bird Seed
- Personal Care items (Travel & full size: Individual razors for sensitive skin, other disposable razors, combs/hairbrushes, denture paste, Shave Cream and Deodorant)
- Coffee Supplies (coffee, creamer, sweetner, etc)
- Patriotic Quilts (twin bed size) for Veterans in Hospice care
- Clothing Items NEW ONLY please: (mens briefs & boxers all sizes, TShirts L & XL and socks)
- Items for Discharge Room: silverware, cooking utensils, pots and pans, SMALL appliances, towels, etc. that are in good shape.
- Clothing Room: men’s jeans, t-shirts, women’s clothes.
- Phone Cards
- Bread Machine mixes
- Gift cards for restaurants (Pizza Hut or Subway, etc.)
- Personal Care/Comfort items for Veterans Drop in Center (Rapid City): both travel size and full size (Lip Balm, shampoo, lotion, disposable razors, combs, toothbrushes and toothpaste)
- Clothing: NEW ONLY, please
- Men's size Medium: white t-shirts, briefs, boxer shorts
- Men's size Large: white t-shirts, briefs, boxer shorts
- Men's size XL and 2X; briefs and boxer shorts, T-shirts
- Women’s size medium and large: under garments
- Shoes (size 8 thru 11) New or gently used
- Healing Waters program - Fly Tying supplies
- colored nylon thread
- natural feathers (turkey, goose, chicken, etc.)
- clean porcupine quills
- fishing hooks (all sizes)
- gift certificates to Cabela's or Scheels
- Low fat microwave popcorn
- Cloth drawstring ditty bags
To make a cash or non-cash contribution, please contact the respective Black Hills HCS Voluntary Service Specialist at Fort Meade: 605-347-7206 or Hot Springs 605-745-2865.
To make a safe and secure donation by credit card click on the "E-Donate" link to initiate an electronic donation.
*RRTP is the Residential Rehabilitation Treatment Program
**CLC is the Community Living Center