VA Black Hills Health Care System
Battle Mountain Sanitarium Historic Preservation
The Hot Springs Campus of VA Black Hills Health Care System, originally known as the Battle Mountain Sanitarium, opened its doors in 1907. Battle Mountain Sanitarium was the first, and only one of the soldiers homes built to focus on the short-term medical needs of Veterans as opposed to being a "retirement home".
It has been recognized as a National Historic Landmark by the US Department of the Interior National Park Service.
- More pictures in the
- National Historic
Sections 106 and 110(f)*
- National Historic Landmark Nomination*
- BMS 1902 Authorization*
- VA History Tidbit*
- Discover our Shared Heritage: Battle Mountain Sanitarium
from the National Park Service website
National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) Section 106 Consultation
- VA BHHCS and VHA Member Services have initiated Section 106 Consultation regarding a proposed VHA National Pharmacy Call Center Consultation Letter
- Read the response of the South Dakota State Historic Preservation Office Response Letter
- Read the National VHA Pharmacy Call Center NEPA Categorical Exculsion (CATEX) Documentation