VA Black Hills Health Care System
National Veterans Creative Arts Festival
VA Black Hills Health Care System is hosting their annual local arts competition that will showcase the creative efforts of our Veterans. Nationwide, the Department of Veteran Affairs medical facilities use the creative arts as one form of rehabilitative treatment to help Veterans recover from and cope with physical and emotional disabilities.
If you're a Veteran who would like to enter the creative art competition, read on.
- Veterans must be registered and receive care at a VA Medical Center
- They must compete through the VA they are registered with
- Entries must have been created after April 2011
What happens next:
- Local first place entries will be submitted for judging at the National level.
- Entries taking first place nationally will be displayed during the National Creative Arts Festival in October, 2012.
- Some of the artists will be invited to attend the week-long celebration of the healing powers of art.
Categories of competition:
Fine and Applied Arts:
- 53 catagories ranging from oil painting to leatherwork to paint-by-number kits.
- There are certain size restrictions for fine and applied arts
- 120 categories pertaining to all aspects of music, dance, drama and creative writing.
- Performing arts entries must be no more than 3 minutes in length.
How to enter:
- Fort Meade Entries:
Deadline February 10, 2012
To enter or for more information contact Mike Ellis (347-2511 x7658) or Kyle Doerges (347-2511 x7582)
- Hot Springs Entries
Deadline March 9, 2012
To enter or for more information contact Debbie Pate (745-2000 x2924)
You can also learn more about the National Veterans Creative Arts Festival at http://www.creativesrtsfestival.va.gov