VA Black Hills Health Care System
Military service information added to My HealtheVet
Some Veterans with an upgraded My HealtheVet can now gain access to key portions of their Department of Defense (DoD) Military Service Information (MSI).
The MSI is available via the site’s Blue Button feature, which will allow Veterans to view, print or download the information.
The information available to Veterans includes:
- Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) codes
- Pay details
- Service dates
- Deployment periods
- Retirement period
The Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) codes feature can assist Veterans in their civilian job search by mapping their military skills and credentials to private sector employment opportunities. The Blue Button FAQS has links to a few online skills translators to convert MOS codes into general skill sets.
However, not all Veterans will be able to view their MSI.
First, Veterans must have an account on My HealtheVet and complete the In-Person Authentication process –giving them an upgraded account.
Also, there are limitations as to what information is available according to the Veterans period of service:
- Military retirees will have complete information
- Veterans discharged after 1980 will see MOS Codes
- Some Veterans discharged between1975-1980 will see MOS Codes
- All Post-9/11 Veterans will see Combat Pay and Deployment Periods
- Some Gulf War I Veterans may see Combat Pay and Deployment Periods
Veterans can complete the In-Person Authentication process simply by going to their nearest VA medical center or Community-Based Outpatient Clinic, fill out a form and their My HealtheVet account will be upgraded soon after.
For more information about My HealtheVet and its many features or to get help with the In-Person Authentication process contact:
My HealtheVet Coordinator
(605) 745.2000, extension 9-2060